Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 22 April 2014

David Moyes has left Manchester United

It was confirmed by Manchester United at 8:30am this morning that David Moyes has left the club. United have not confirmed whether Moyes was sacked or whether he has left the club by mutual agreement, but the rumours that he would be fired gathered pace yesterday afternoon, and with the club refusing to quash the rumours, it was inevitable that he was not to be on the job for much longer. So far the clubs have said:

“The Club would like to place on record its thanks for the hard work, honesty and integrity he brought to the role.”
I am sure a more in-depth statement will be issued at some point today confirming a bit more about what it likely to happen going forward. The newspapers have already suggested that Ryan Giggs will become the caretaker manager for the remaining four matches of the season, with the suggestion that Nicky Butt will join him, but that is still subject to confirmation from the club, which will no doubt be announced at some point today. I am sure the future of the club will be being dealt with as you read this with Giggs being handed the ropes of the club.


Now for the record, I was still sticking by my word that I would give Moyes the remainder of the season and the summer transfer window and see how we fared in pre-season and the first few matches of next season. I am a man of my word and don’t turn as quickly as some had done. But I will say that I was never happy in what I was seeing and Sunday’s match was enough for me. I would have liked to have seen Moyes succeed in the role, but all the signs were there that it was never going to happen. I will say that some of our so-called supporters abusing Moyes via Twitter (like the men they think they are) is very much out of order. The man had a job to do, he replaced the irreplaceable, which was a daunting task. I admire him for taking a shot at trying to keep United successful, but it didn’t work.

I am sure that wherever Moyes goes from here, if he returns to Old Trafford as an opposition manager, he will receive a warm welcome. He is a decent manager, but clearly not a manager that can steer a club the size of Manchester United, as it is a mammoth task, especially in the era of modern football.

Who comes in to replace Moyes on a permanent role will be interesting. The rumours have been hotting up about Louis van Gaal and even Jürgen Klopp, so we now wait and see what the club does over the coming few weeks.

No comments: